How to improve skin thickness
Thinning skin or fragile skin is commonly associated with aging. However, it's also caused by various external factors. Since your skin protects your body, having stronger skin is essential.
What causes thin skin?
Thin skin is caused by aging, sun exposure, some medications, and genetics. If your skin is thinning, you may notice that you get bruises, tears, and cuts easily.
Related: 10 best foods for healthy skin
It's most noticeable in your face, arms, and hands. If you have thin skin, you may find that your veins, tendons, bones are visible under your skin.
Your dermis is what gives strength and flexibility to your skin. Therefore, thinning of your skin is thinning of the dermis.
Thin skin isn't always a sign of a serious condition. However, it's important to have your doctor evaluate your skin and ensure that it's normal thinning.
How to thicken your skin
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it protects all of the other organs from the external environment. Keeping it healthy is important.
There are several ways to thicken your skin to prevent thinning and loss of elasticity. The following are tips to strengthen your skin:
1. Talk to your doctor about vitamin A. Vitamin A, also known as retinoids, can help increase the thickness of your skin (Source: PubMed). Ask your doctor if it would be a good fit for you.
2. Eat foods that support skin health. Nutrition is a great way to keep your skin healthy. Implement foods that are filled with vitamins and nutrients into your diet.
3. Protect your skin from sun damage. Wear sunscreen and longer clothing to protect your skin from getting damaged from the sun. It's also key to avoid prolonged sun exposure.
4. Focus on hydration. Drink plenty of water and drink less alcohol, which is dehydrating.
5. Moisturize often. Staying moisturized will keep your skin healthy. Using the right moisturizer will prevent oiliness and dryness, which are two common skin issues.
Although reversing the damage from thinning skin isn't possible, you can take the right steps to strengthen your skin and prevent further damage. Taking care of your skin will result in reducing the damage. It'll also help your skin become more flexible.
You might also like:
Featured image courtesy of Pexels.